There are usually two ways people eat food. One way they eat it is by cooking it first and then consuming it, while another way is to just simply eat it raw.
However, you need to remember that not all foods are created equal and can be eaten raw.
One kind of food people might eat raw or cooked is turkey bacon. In this article, we will discuss whether it’s possible to eat raw turkey bacon and what benefits and risks can come about when eating it raw.
By the end, you will be very informed! We promise you that.
Is It Possible To Eat Raw Turkey Bacon?
It doesn’t matter that turkey bacon is made from turkey. You can’t eat it raw because of the bacteria, parasites, etc., that can live inside it. The only and best way to eat it is by cooking it.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you can’t eat it undercooked as well. The internal temperature of bacon needs to be either 145 degrees Fahrenheit or 62.8 Celsius.
It can be difficult to tell the internal temperature of bacon because of how it is made, but if you cook it to its crispiness, you can avoid any risks.
What Are the Risks of Eating Raw Turkey Bacon?
As we said, there are a lot of risks to eating raw turkey bacon. The consequences of eating this include:
- One issue with eating raw turkey bacon is getting something called tapeworms into your system. Symptoms of tapeworms include weight loss, stomach pain, and, finally, intestinal blockages. If left untreated, this can lead to a lot of health issues, so if you suspect you might have a tapeworm, you need to go to the doctor and seek help.
- Another issue that can come with eating raw turkey bacon is getting a roundworm. Symptoms of roundworm include diarrhea, vomiting, eye swelling, and weakness. Like with tapeworms, if you suspect you have a roundworm, you need to seek medical assistance.
- Finally, another issue with eating raw turkey bacon is that it can lead to you getting food poisoning. While food poisoning isn’t deadly, it can lead to you being sick for a couple of days and being stuck around the house because of the symptoms you are experiencing.
The best way to avoid all of this is to cook the turkey bacon and make sure it’s cooked thoroughly. Later on, we’ll go into exactly how you can cook turkey bacon!
How to Safely Store Raw Turkey Bacon
There are several ways to safely store your turkey bacon. This includes:
- If turkey bacon is unopened and kept in a fridge, it can last up to two weeks and still be good around a week after its expiration date. Now if it’s open, then the package can only last for about a week before it goes bad. When in doubt, always do the smell test so you can be sure that the turkey bacon hasn’t gone bad. If it’s bad, then you need to toss it right away.
- Another way to store turkey bacon is in the freezer, which is the best way to prolong its shelf life. First, wrap the turkey bacon in some plastic wrap, freezer wrap, wax paper, or foil. Then put that in a freezer bag like a Ziplock bag or something. The brand doesn’t matter. Next, write the date on the bag and put it in the freezer. It can last about four months in the freezer, which gives you plenty of time to figure out what to do with it.
So now you know how to store it, which means the next thing you need to know is how exactly to cook turkey bacon in the first place!
How To Cook Turkey Bacon
We have narrowed down some of the most proven methods for cooking turkey bacon, which include:
- One of the most popular ways to cook turkey bacon is to do it on the stovetop. First, heat a pan on medium heat, and then put the turkey bacon in the pan. Wait until it’s browned, and then flip it over. Repeat the process and then remove the pieces of bacon from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Another way to cook turkey bacon is in the oven, which does take longer than on the stovetop, but it’s still a great method. Once the oven has preheated to 400 degrees, put the bacon on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes and then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- This method requires you to have an air fryer on hand, but it’s a great way to cook bacon. Once the air fryer is heated up to 360 degrees, put the turkey bacon in the basket. Cook for five minutes, flip over, and then cook again for five minutes. After that, you’re all done and can eat it!
- Finally, while this isn’t the best way, it is possible to cook turkey bacon in the microwave. Once the turkey bacon slices are placed in a microwave-safe place, cook them for four minutes. Check it afterward and keep cooking until it looks like it is fully cooked. This cooking method can take some getting used to, so for those that don’t want a lot of fuss, use one of the other methods.
While there are other ways to cook turkey bacon, we feel that these are the best ways to do it. Once you are done, you’ll be able to enjoy a slice of delicious bacon!
And there you have it, all your turkey bacon lovers out there. Even though turkey bacon is delicious, you can’t eat it raw due to all the risks that are involved.
While it may be turkey, it still is bacon, which should not be eaten raw under any circumstances.
Don’t worry because there are still plenty of ways to cook turkey bacon and enjoy it.
You might also be interested in the following:
- Can You Eat Raw Pork?
- Can You Eat Raw Chicken?
- Can You Eat Raw Steak?
- Can You Eat Raw Ground Beef?
- Can You Eat Raw Hot Dogs?
- Can You Eat Raw Spam?
- Can You Eat Raw Liver?
- Can You Eat Raw Bacon?
- Can You Eat Raw Beef?
I have been smoking and grilling meat from an early age and enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise through the hundreds of articles I have written about BBQ. I hope to make everyone’s BBQ journey that little bit easier.