When it comes to cooking, there are a lot of things you have to factor into the process beyond the whole preparation and cooking.
You need to keep your general and overall safety in mind because the last thing you want to do is to end up getting ill. Sometimes, people may not even know if something is bad for them or not.
One thing people may wonder is whether or not you should cook on a rusty grill.
In this article, we will cover if it’s safe, the ways to clean the rust off the grill, and finally, how to prevent rust from forming on it in the first place!
How Safe Is It To Cook on a Rusty Grill?
Let us get one thing straight. It’s not harmful to cook on a rusty grill.
No harm will come to your health, and nor will it cause any serious safety issues for yourself and others who happen to be around while you are grilling.
The biggest issue with cooking on a rusty grill is that it is going to taste very strange.
Your meat could get infused with the rusty taste, and then when you bite into it, you’ll end up tasting that. Also, it doesn’t exactly look nice to the visible eye.
Luckily, there are several ways to clean a rusty grill!
How Do You Clean a Rusty Grill?
We produced three methods that are a great way to clean off your rusty grill. They include the baking soda method, the vinegar and salt method, and finally, the wire brush method.
Read on to learn how to clean your grill with one of these!
Baking Soda Method
An easy method to remove rust from your grill is to just use some baking soda.
Baking soda can be used to clean so many things, so it’s no surprise that it can be used to take off something as pesky as rust off a grill.
- To use the baking soda method, grab a soft brush and then remove whatever you can with it. Don’t try to overdo it because you will be using the baking soda momentarily. Just do what you can with the brush.
- Next, sprinkle the baking soda onto the grill grate and then turn it on. Let the baking soda bubble, and then when it’s done, turn the grill off.
- After it’s cool, you can clean away everything else that is left on the grill.
Thankfully baking soda is pretty cheap to purchase and available in many stores, so it won’t be difficult for you to get ahold of it.
Vinegar and Salt Method
The salt and vinegar method is simple, like the baking soda method. It’s extremely easy to purchase as well.
Salt and vinegar are very common household items available at many stores, much like baking soda.
To use this method, you must:
- The first thing to do is combine vinegar and salt in a spray bottle. Then you can spray the grates, which won’t take long.
- Cover the grate with a plastic bag or something similar.
- After it sits for twenty-four hours, you can go ahead and wipe the grates off.
- You can also use baking soda and vinegar. To do this, put vinegar on the grill grate and then sprinkle the baking soda. You can leave this overnight if you want and just wipe it off in the morning as you would with the salt and vinegar in a spray bottle method.
Wire Brush Method
The last method to get the rust off your grill grate is called the wire brush method.
To do this, you do need to have a wire brush on your hands, but it’s pretty affordable and doesn’t require much effort to get one.
- The first thing is to take the grate off the grill. You’ll want to place it on a flat surface of some sort.
- Next, start brushing the rust off with the wire brush. This might take more than a few minutes, depending on how much rust is on your grill.
- The last thing to do is wipe away the rust and put the grill grate back onto your grill.
- If there is any rust left over on the grill grate, you can always rinse and repeat the process. It might take a few tries if it’s especially rusty.
So, you know how to remove rust, but it’s still a hassle to have to do it. The best way to avoid this is by not letting rust get on your grill grates in the first place.
How Do You Prevent Rust on Grill Grates?
Preventing something from happening is a great way to save time, money, and energy. Stopping rust from forming on your grill grates is no exception to this rule.
How can you do this? Well, all you have to do is clean your grill after every use!
After cooking food on your grill, there is grease and food left over on the grill grates. Wash it thoroughly and then put the grill grate back on top of the grill.
It’s even recommended to put some oil (like olive oil) on the grates, which is another way to prevent rust.
We know that cleaning something after every use can be a hassle, but it’s a much bigger hassle to get out all that rust. This is especially true if it has built up over time.
And there you go, all you grill lovers out there. You now know if it’s safe to cook on a rusty grill, all the methods used to clean the rust, and how to stop rust from forming on your grill grates.
These are important things to know because grilling is a popular method of cooking… especially when the weather is nice!
Truly, the best way to solve this problem is just by keeping your grill clean. Make sure to clean it after every time you cook. See? It’s as simple as that!
You might also be interested in the following:
I have been smoking and grilling meat from an early age and enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise through the hundreds of articles I have written about BBQ. I hope to make everyone’s BBQ journey that little bit easier.