16 Jul BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
BBQ meatloaf is classic comfort food. It is of the easiest ground beef recipes around. This BBQ meatloaf does not disappoint.
It is moist, flavorful, and slathered with sweet sticky BBQ meatloaf. However, a couple of commonly asked questions need to be answered before we get to the recipe.
What Is The Secret To Moist Meatloaf?
I am sure everyone has the unpleasant pleasure of tasting an extremely dry meatloaf. The secret to a moist meatloaf is adding moisture each step of the way.
Moisture is usually added via eggs, ketchup, tomato paste, mustard, and barbeque sauce. I would not recommend skipping any of these ingredients. If you omit these ingredients, you risk ending up with a super dry meatloaf.
What Does Milk Do In Meatloaf?
The purpose of adding milk to meatloaf is it adds moisture. The bread crumbs absorb the milk, thus providing the meatloaf with moisture. If you are not a fan of dairy milk, you can use water, non-dairy substitutes like almond or oat milk, and chicken or beef broth.
Why Do You Put Eggs In Meatloaf?
Eggs are a staple ingredient in almost every meatloaf recipe. This because they serve two major purposes. Eggs yolks consist primarily of water. Thus they add substantial quantities of moisture, fat, protein, and flavor. Additionally, eggs also act as a binder. They help you shape the meat without overworking it.
Is It Best To Cover Meatloaf When Baking?
It depends on your preference. Wrapping the meatloaf is a guaranteed way to seal in moisture. However, it is not necessary. Should you choose to cover, remove the foil during the final 15 minutes of baking time and give it a fresh coat of BBQ sauce.
BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Baking dish
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cup milk
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp BBQ seasoning
- Program the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the ground beef, ground pork, eggs, onion, garlic, milk, panko, 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, BBQ seasoning in a large bowl.
- Shape the meatloaf batter into a loaf in a shallow baking pan. Brush the BBQ sauce with 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, cover it with aluminum foil and bake it for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and brush the remaining 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce onto the meatloaf. Return the meatloaf to the oven uncovered and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the meatloaf has a temperature of 165°F.
- Let the BBQ meatloaf sit for 5-7 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!