When people are cooking, they need to know how much food they are making for either themselves or whoever is attending the meal.
This is why portion size is so important! It helps you figure out how much each person gets. By doing this, you won’t be at risk of over or under-eating, which can lead to excessive weight gain.
People use portion sizes for a lot of foods, including meat like pork butt. In this article, you’ll figure out how much pork butt a person eats, if you can eat too much, and finally, the benefits of eating it!
What Is Pork Butt?
Okay, so let’s just get it out of the way. Pork butt is a strange name for a cut of meat, and just by hearing it, you may think it has something to do with the butt of pork.
We are pleased to inform you that it doesn’t come from the back end of the pig at all!
The pork butt comes from the large muscle at the top of its legs. It’s near where the meat in the ham is taken from.
One of the best things about pork butt is it is very inexpensive, so if you are hurting for money, this is a great and affordable cut of meat to buy for yourself and your household!
How Much Pork Butt Does Each Person Get?
When it comes to how much pork butt to give each person coming over for dinner, it depends on mostly two different factors. One of the factors is whether the meat is bone-in or boneless.
The second-factor deals with whether whoever is eating the food is an adult or a child. A child isn’t going to eat as much as an adult, so you want to make sure you give them less.
For boneless meat, every adult should get about ½ a pound, and children should have ¼ a pound.
Now for bone-in-meat, you use a little more meat because, with the bone involved while you are cooking, some of the meat is going to shrink. With bone-in meat, get 1 pound for every adult and ½ a pound for every child in attendance.
This is the basic portion size for pork butt. If you want leftovers, you can buy an extra pound or two because it is so affordable. However, don’t increase the portion size and just eat as you normally would.
Can You Eat Too Much Pork Butt?
We are sad to inform you that you can eat too much pork butt. Eating too much pork butt can cause the following issues:
- Eating a lot of pork can cause you to have an increase in rectal, colorectal, and colon cancers. It can also increase your chances of pancreatic and prostate cancer, but there needs to be more research done to see if there truly is an increased risk.
- Eating a lot of pork can cause you to gain a lot of weight. Pork has a lot of fat in it, so by eating less, you are helping your body avoid becoming affected by consuming too much of that fat.
- Another problem that can come about with eating a lot of pork is diabetes. Diabetes is a disease that you can very well manage and live with, but it forces you to make a huge lifestyle change. If you don’t, then you can put your health at risk. Plus, sometimes, you are forced to rely on insulin, which can interrupt your life.
- You can also be at risk of cardiovascular disease, which can affect your heart.
- These are the biggest problems with eating too much pork. The best way to avoid it is to just not eat a lot of pork.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Pork Butt?
Despite the complications with eating a lot of pork butt, there still are a lot of benefits to be had from eating it as well! This includes:
- Pork butt has a lot of protein in it. The reason protein is so important is that it can help grow and repair not only your muscles but also your skin, organs, cells, and digestion. So, if you want to find one reason to eat pork butt, getting a decent amount of protein into your body is certainly it!
- Vitamins can also be found in pork butt. Some of the vitamins that can be found in this meat are B vitamins. The great thing about B vitamins is that they help with your energy, red blood cell production, heart health, skin, nervous system, and digestive system. These groups of vitamins really do a lot of work, don’t they? If the protein doesn’t convince you, then the vitamins in pork butt certainly should!
- Finally, there are a lot of minerals that can be found in pork butt, and two of them include zinc and selenium. Selenium, in particular, can help with your thyroid and reproductive health. Zinc, on the other hand, helps with wound healing, cell division, and immune function, just to name a few things that it does for your body.
So, these are the biggest benefits of eating pork. If you eat it in moderation, you will be able to get all these benefits from eating pork.
The best part of it is that pork butt is really cheap, so you can easily be able to afford it even if you are on a budget. All you need to do is just not eat too much of it, and you’ll be able to gain all these benefits from eating it!
And there you go, all you pork butt lovers out there! We touched on what it is, how much each person should get if you can eat too much, and finally, what are the benefits of eating pork butt in the first place!
Remember, it’s always a good idea to do things in moderation, and this is especially true when it comes to food!
You might also be interested in the following:
- How Much Pork per Person?
- How Much Pork Shoulder per Person?
- How Much Pork Tenderloin per Person?
- How Much Ham per Person?
- How Much Turkey per Person?
- How Much Chicken per Person?
- How Much Meat per Person?
I have been smoking and grilling meat from an early age and enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise through the hundreds of articles I have written about BBQ. I hope to make everyone’s BBQ journey that little bit easier.