There is such a thing as eating too much food. This is where portion size comes in. It can help you figure out what to give yourself and others for meals. By following portion size, you help reduce the chance of you over or under-eating.
Overeating can cause issues because it can lead to excessive weight gain, and under-eating can lead to the same problem. The reason for this is that you’ll be snacking in between meals.
Sometimes, people tend to do this with meat, and one meat people do this with is Salmon. In this article, you’ll find out how much each person gets, if you can eat too much salmon, and finally, what are the benefits.
How Much Salmon Does Each Person Get?
There is a certain amount of salmon that each person should get for a meal. Many factors influence the amount of salmon they should get.
Age and health are the biggest things to consider. Healthy adults can eat the most, while children and those with health issues are the ones who shouldn’t eat as much.
The ideal amount to give a healthy adult is 3 to per ounces per meal. In total, they can eat 6 to 8 ounces of salmon per week.
We give you what they recommend per week so you can get an idea of how much to consume. There are a lot of reasons why this is the case, which we will touch on in the next section.
If you have a child, then the amounts are different. A child under six can only consume 1 to 2 ounces per week, while children over six can only eat 2 to 3 ounces per week.
This is similar to how much an unhealthy person can eat. It’s suggested they only eat 3 to 4 ounces of salmon a week.
So, for the most part, if you are a healthy adult, you can eat a decent amount of salmon during the week.
Can You Eat Too Much Salmon?
There can be a thing as too much salmon. The reason for this includes the following:
- Salmon has a lot of mercury, and so does some seafood in general. Having a lot of mercury in your system is never good, and you want to avoid it where you can. It could lead to mercury poisoning, which is something you want to avoid under all circumstances.
- Too much salmon can also lead to weight gain. On the surface, this might not seem like such a bad thing, but if you keep indulging in it, then it could become one. Being overweight does have a huge impact on your health.
- Those that are ill should keep in check how much salmon they are considering eating. People who have diabetes also fall under this rule. The reason for this is that it could interfere with their insulin resistance. At the end of the day, if you think it’s going to hurt more rather than help your health, it’s best to avoid it.
The biggest issue is mercury poisoning. Common symptoms include anxiety/depression/general irritability, memory problems, tremors, and numbness.
It tends to build up over time, and if it is not dealt with, then it could lead to permanent brain damage/kidney damage, and circulatory failure.
The best way to avoid this is to just not eat too many fish! Yes, it is as simple as that. The mercury is going to have to build up over time, so you won’t see any issues right away.
In time, however, you will, which is why we want you to not eat too much fish and risk putting a lot of mercury in your system.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Salmon?
Despite what eating too much salmon can do to you, it still is good for your body. The benefits include:
- Salmon is extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. A lot of fish have this, but salmon is one of the best fish to get it from. By getting omega-3 fatty acids in your boy, you can lower inflammation, blood pressure, and risk of cancer, and even improve the cells that happen to line your arteries.
- Like most meats, salmon is a great source of protein. The reason protein is important for your body is that it helps your bones. Plus, if you get injured, then the protein will help your bones heal faster than they would if you didn’t have much in your system.
- B vitamins are also found in salmon. The vitamins they have are Vitamin B12, Niacin, Thiamine, Folic Acid, Thiamine, Pantothenic acid, riboflavin, and vitamin B6.
- Salmon is chock full of potassium! Potassium is good for your body because not only does it help manage your blood pressure, but it also helps reduce your risk of stroke. That alone should make you want to add some more salmon to your diet.
- Selenium can be found in salmon. This can help protect bone health and might reduce your risk of cancer.
- Astaxanthin is another thing found in salmon. What this can do is help you lower your risk of heart disease and inflammation in your body.
The other benefits of eating salmon still require more research. Studies seem to show that they can help with heart disease, weight management, brain health, and vision. Again, there needs to be more research done on these subjects.
Overall, there are a lot of sure benefits to eating salmon. By eating the correct portions of salmon, you’ll be able to give your body every one of them.
And there you go, all you Salmon lovers out there! Now you know how much salmon each person should get, followed by what can happen if you eat too much.
Fear not, because there are benefits of eating salmon… provided you don’t overeat.
Remember, too much of anything is not a great thing. By following portion sizes, you’ll make sure your weight will stay under control and not worry about getting sick.
You might also be interested in the following:
I have been smoking and grilling meat from an early age and enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise through the hundreds of articles I have written about BBQ. I hope to make everyone’s BBQ journey that little bit easier.