When a person is cooking, they will sometimes use portion sizes because they want to make sure they only make a certain amount.
This is for themselves and others. If you do follow portion sizes, you can help reduce the chance of over-eating and under-eating, both of which can lead to you gaining weight.
People often use portion sizes with meat or seafood, such as crab legs. In this article, we are going to discuss how much each person should get if you can eat too much, and finally, the benefits of eating crab legs in general!
By the end, you’ll be an expert on not only portion sizes but also all things crab legs.
How Much Crab Legs Does Each Person Get?
Seafood is very popular all over the world, so you shouldn’t be surprised that people want to find how much is the correct portion size.
Crabs are very popular, and the part of crab people especially love eating their crab legs. They are one of the best parts of the crab.
If you decide that you want to make crab, you’ll need to know how much to get so you have enough for each person.
It’s best to have about 1 ½ pounds per person, which is the average portion size. If you have some big eaters on your hands or people who want seconds/leftovers, then consider getting 2 pounds per person.
The young ones or people who don’t eat a lot could eat as little as 1 pound. It just depends on whom you are inviting to dinner.
You know yourself and your guests. When in doubt, just ask them. They will be able to tell you how much they want for the meal.
Can You Eat Too Much Crab Legs?
While crab legs are very delicious, there is such a thing as eating too much of them. The risks of eating too many crab legs include:
- Mercury poisoning is an issue that can come up when eating seafood. Crab is lower in mercury than some other seafood out there, but it truly does depend on who is catching the crab and who is preparing it. There are a lot of symptoms that come along with mercury poisoning, and some are tiredness/anxiety/depression, memory, and weight loss, vision and concentration issues, and kidney problems, just to name a few. In some cases, it can result in death.
- If you are eating brown crab, then you could end up with cadmium poisoning because this type of crab has a lot of this chemical. Symptoms include cramps, nausea/vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Finally, crab meat has a lot of sodium in it, and this can have a lot of issues down the road, depending on how much you are consuming. While salt is tasty, having too much sodium can lead to you having high blood pressure, and having high blood pressure gives you a higher risk of heart disease and stroke. This is a huge problem for a lot of Americans. We just consume too much sodium in our diet, so it really should be done in moderation.
These are the top three risks of eating too many crabs. The top two can be easily avoided depending on what type of crab you are consuming and where you are buying it from.
When it comes to high amounts of sodium, the best way to avoid it is by having your crab meat in moderation.
In the next section, we’ll go into the benefits of eating crab legs because there are two of them that stand out from all of them.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Crab Legs?
The benefits of eating crab legs include:
- Crab meat has a lot of protein in it. Protein is important because it helps your body create and rebuild muscles and tissues. Crab alone has a huge amount of it, so if you need protein in your diet, consider getting crab! When it comes to crab is what is called a complete source of protein. This means it supplies all 20 amino acids your body needs to make new proteins. That alone should make you want to go out, buy some crab, and cook it up for you and your family!
- You will find that there is a lot of B12 in crab meat. Your body needs a good amount of this because it helps produce healthy red blood cells and can make sure your brain is functioning as normally as possible. Another great thing about it is that it can help reduce your chances of cardiovascular disease. This is a huge problem and can lead to serious health complications or death in some cases. If anything is going to make you go out and buy crab meat to improve your health, then the fact that it can help your heart will.
These are the top two benefits of eating crab legs. The process of buying, preparing, and cooking a crab can be long and difficult.
If you’ve never done it before, you might find it to be a little overwhelming, but take a breath and don’t let that stop you!
In no time, you’ll be preparing and cooking crabs with the best of them, which will help your body get both of those benefits that we listed above.
And there you go, all your crab leg lovers out there! Now you know how much ground beef each person should get if you can eat too much crab leg in the first place, and finally, the benefits of eating it.
If you haven’t used portion sizes before, then it is going to take a while to get used to this, which we are more than aware of.
However, soon it will become second nature to you. You can always overindulge now and again, but make sure to do it in moderation. One should never take any chances when your health is at risk.
You might also be interested in the following: