When you are cooking for yourself or others, you are going to want to use portion size in mind. The reason why you do this is that it’s a great way to ensure you aren’t overeating or even undereating.
Believe it or not, both of these can lead to excessive weight gain, which causes all types of health issues for you.
People often use portion sizes with meat, such as tri-tip. In this article, we are going to discuss what it is, how much each person should get, if you can eat too much, and finally, the benefits of eating it!
What Is a Tri-tip?
For those who don’t know what tri-tip is, don’t worry because we have you covered.
This cut is a triangular cut that comes from the steak. It specifically comes from the bottom of it. The reason it’s called tri-tip is, obviously, because of its shape.
The tri-tip cut is more common in certain parts of the world. For example, it’s very popular in Southern California, so someone who says it over in the northeast may have never heard of it before.
How Much Tri Tip Does Each Person Get?
There is a certain amount of tri-trip you are going to need to get to have enough for you and the rest of your guests.
It’s best if you buy about ½ pound of steak per person. So, if you have a 2-pound tri-steak, you’ll be able to feed four people.
Keep in mind that you can always get a little more if you plan or want to have leftovers. This also includes going back for seconds if you so desire.
Can You Eat Too Much?
Sadly, you can have too many tri-trips. It’s part of the steak, which means it’s red meat, and red meat can cause issues for your body. This includes:
- Eating red meat increases your chances of diseases. If you are eating unprocessed red meat every day, then you have a 13 percent increased chance of dying from cardiovascular disease or cancer. If you are eating processed red meat, this goes all the way up to 20 percent! These statistics are very sobering and highlight the problem with eating red meat in access. The best way to avoid this is to just eat meat in moderation.
- You will find that red meat is high in cholesterol, sodium, and saturated fats. Every one of these things is concerning, but the most concerning is high cholesterol because it’s not easy to tell if you have a problem. There are no symptoms, and the only way to tell is to have your doctor give you a test.
- Finally, having a lot of red meat in your diet can increase your chances for diseases like coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and colorectal cancer, among other types. All of these are treatable depending on the level of severity, but they all either require a whole lifestyle choice or a huge impact on your health. Death is also a possible consequence of all of these diseases, and it doesn’t get more final than death!
These are the biggest issues that can arise if you end up eating too much red meat. We know that red meat or tri-tip, in this case, is very delicious.
This doesn’t mean that you can just eat it all the time, especially depending on your age and health in general.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Tri Tip?
While there might be a lot of risks to eating red meat, there are also benefits to eating it as well. This includes:
- There is a lot of protein in steak, and probably one of the best sources of protein in the first place. The reason your body needs protein is that it keeps parts of your body in good health, which includes hair, bones, nails, skin, blood, and cartilage.
- Steak is chock full of iron, and your body needs a lot of iron to function. If you don’t have enough iron in your body, then you could end up getting weak or dizzy, which leads to anemia.
- Steak can be good for your mental health. There is more research to be done on this, but if eating red meat can lower your chances of certain diseases, sign me up! Only time will tell how accurate this is, but it’s a nice thought.
- There can be a lot of micronutrients in red meat. This includes zinc, selenium, and B vitamins which all help your body function properly and remain healthy. The amounts vary, but it’s still great that you can find all of these in a single serving of red meat.
- The final thing about red meat is that it can improve your smile because red meat helps promote oral health. It’s the phosphorus in red meat that does this specifically. It helps protect your bones, and teeth are bones!
So, here are the biggest benefits of eating tri-tip in moderation. It really can help prevent diseases and just help you remain healthy.
It can’t stop the aging process, sadly. Nothing can do that but the fountain of youth, which doesn’t exist as far as we know!
If you don’t eat tri-tip, then just get some steak in general. This will go a long way to helping you live as long as possible.
And there you go; all you Tri Tip out there! Now you know what tri-tip is, how much each person should get if you can eat too much in the first place, and finally the benefits of eating it.
It can take a while to get used to using portion sizes. Even if you have used them before, if you haven’t made them a regular thing, then it will not be easy.
This is not to say that you can never overindulge now and again. It just needs to be in moderation so you don’t put your health at risk.
You might also be interested in the following:
- How Much Hamburger Meat per Person?
- How Much Carne Asada per Person?
- How Much Corned Beef per Person?
- How Much Deli Meat per Person?
- How Much Ground Beef per Person?
- How Much Roast Beef per Person?
- How Much Steak per Person?
- How Much Beef Tenderloin per Person?
- How Much BBQ per Person?
- How Much Brisket per Person?
- How Much Prime Rib per Person?
I have been smoking and grilling meat from an early age and enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise through the hundreds of articles I have written about BBQ. I hope to make everyone’s BBQ journey that little bit easier.