04 Apr Homemade Spicy BBQ Sauce Recipe
Everybody needs spicy food in their life. Luckily this spicy bbq sauce has got you covered. Made with jalapenos and red pepper flakes, this sauce will fulfill all of your spicy dreams without burning your tongue off.
What is Spicy BBQ Sauce Made Of?
As with most bbq sauces, this recipe features a healthy amount of ketchup. However, this spicy bbq sauce recipe uses jalapeno peppers as well as crushed red pepper flakes. Jalapenos are not as spicy as other peppers like a serrano or habanero, but they provide a good amount of heat along with the red pepper flakes.
This spicy bbq sauce also uses apple cider vinegar, giving the sauce a tangy flavor to help balance out the spiciness. Worcestershire adds great flavor along with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika to give the sauce a hint of smokiness.
What barbeque sauce is complete without a component of sweetness? Dark brown sugar adds a beautiful molasses flavor. While you do not have to add bourbon to this spicy bbq sauce, it definitely adds a unique flavor to the sauce.
It creates oak and caramel notes giving the sauce an extra depth of flavor that makes you wonder what the secret ingredient is?
How To Make Spicy BBQ Sauce
This sauce is super simple to prepare. Simply saute the jalapeno peppers, onions, red bell pepper, and garlic in a little oil until they have softened.
Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
Bring the spicy bbq sauce to a gentle simmer and let it cook to allow the flavors to blend together. You can strain the sauce, but if you want a thicker sauce that has more body, you can pour the spicy bbq sauce into a blender and puree it into a smooth, thick bbq sauce. That’s it!
Your spicy barbeque sauce is ready for use! You can use it to coat chicken wings, shrimp, pork chops, fries, or anything you think will pair well with the sauce.
Homemade Spicy BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 jalapeno peppers diced
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the olive oil in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the red onion, jalapeno peppers, and red bell pepper and sauté the herbs for 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute until it becomes aromatic. Next, add the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring the spicy BBQ sauce to a boil, then decrease the heat to medium-low and gently simmer it for10-15 minutes.
- Place the spicy bbq sauce into a blender and puree it until the sauce is smooth and has a thick consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!