Charlotte is the city of sports. It is the hub of races, leagues, and many other sports tournaments that keep the heart of this city beating.
However, there is one more thing that keeps the city and its people motivated. That is the exceptional grilled BBQ.
Its smoke travels to the soul, leaving the tastebuds satisfied but craving for more. Here are a few eateries you can visit if you are in the city.
Best BBQ in Charlotte
Midwood Smokehouse has special brisket that has burnt ends for the extra crisp to go with the tenderness of the meat.
This combination of meat with smoke can melt your mouth if you wish to travel here.
They have a great setup that allows big parties to enjoy dinner together.
If you wish to plan an event or ask them to cater to you, you can easily contact them.
- 1401 Central Ave., Charlotte, NC 28205
- +1 704 2954227
- 11:00 am- 9:00 pm, Sunday-Tuesday. 11:00 am-10:00 pm, Thursday-Saturday.
Mac’s Speed Shop
Mac’s Speed Shop is an eatery that has revolutionized the essence of comfort foods.
They have transformed dishes like mac n cheese, salads, and beans to be used with the smoky goodness of meats. Together, you can enjoy a wholesome meal.
They have also introduced a variety of dishes known as Mexicue, which is a transfusion of Mexican taste into the BBQ meat.
- 2511 South Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28203
- +1 704 5226227
- 11:00 am- 11:00 pm, Sunday – Tuesday. 11:00 am – 12:00 am, Thursday-Saturday.
Sweet Lew’s BBQ
If you are looking for the conventional side of the BBQ meat, visit Sweet Lew’s BBQ.
They have the best-smoked meat, which is cooked slowly over hickory and pecan wood.
If you want to catch the hype, arrive early at the eatery.
The place is known to have sold out once the dinner time hits around 6 or 7 in the evening.
Their hefty portions, perfectly smoked meats, and a huge range of sides will have you munching down in delight!
- 923 Belmont Ave., Charlotte, NC 28205
- +1 9802247584
- 11:00 am-8:00 pm, Wednesday and Thursday. 11:00 am – 9:00 pm, Friday and Saturday. 11:00 am – 6:00 pm, Sunday. Mondays and Tuesdays are closed.
Bar-B-Q King is one of the oldest spots in the city.
Located near the airport, it serves as a great place for tourists looking to enjoy the smokey flavored meat.
Although it is not much of a setup as it is a drive-through, the lines following up will tell you of its popularity.
You can enjoy their tender chicken covered in sauces that still manage to have a crispy layer just at this eatery.
- 2900 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208
- +1 7043998344
- 10:30 am- 9:00 pm, Tuesday- Thursday. 10:30 am-10:00 pm, Friday and Saturday. Mondays and Sundays are closed.
City Barbeque and Catering
If you are looking for a place that serves the authentic taste, then visit City Barbeque and Catering.
They do not just serve the smoky sauced meats, but they also have made a career out of catering.
You can enjoy steaks at the backyards, at weddings and, at formal receptions.
Don’t you worry about the mess, as the BBQ taste will leave every guest wanting more!
- 11212 Providence Rd W., Charlotte, NC 28277
- +1 704 8174050
- 11:00 am- 9:00 pm, Monday – Thursday. 11:00 am- 10:00 pm, Friday and Saturday. 11:00 am- 8:00 pm, Sunday.
Noble Smoke has been on the best BBQ run for decades.
It has since then served thousands of customers and remains a top priority to many.
If you want to enjoy a meal with your friends, you can visit this place.
They have a cozy setup that allows you to indulge in the smoky goodness and saucy mess peacefully.
Everyday, this fine establishment goes through 1,200 pounds of pork and poultry, so make sure to be there as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
- 2216 Freedom Dr., Charlotte, NC 28208
- +1 704 7035252
- 11:00 am – 9:00 pm, Sunday – Thursday. 11:00am – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday.
Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ
Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ is a place that serves the traditional smoked BBQ that your mouth craves for.
You will be allowing the smoke to water your eyes and your nose to smell the spice just so you can have that wholesome meal.
You will love their meat because of the slow-cooked smoke that surrounds the spices.
They have some of the best flavors formulated in their recipes.
Their famous potato rolls and bread adds to the entire experience of indulging in some great BBQ.
- 13840 Steele Creek Rd., Charlotte, NC 28278
- +1 704 9302290
- 11:00 am-9:00 pm, Sunday- Thursday. 11:00 am-10:00 pm, Friday and Saturday.
McKoy’s Smokehouse & Saloon
McKoy’s Smokehouse & Saloon has a homey and cozy atmosphere that is bound to make you feel at home.
It is a family-owned restaurant that serves affordable recipes with good taste.
You will find their smokey wings covered in tangy sauces and their slow-cooked ribs that are so tender they just fall off the bones to be the stars at McKoy’s smokehouse.
- 4630 Old Pineville Rd., Charlotte, NC 28217
- +1 704 5236330
- 11:00 am-11:00 pm, Monday-Thursday. 11:00 am-12:00 pm, Friday and Saturday. Sundays are closed.
Sonny’s BBQ is the place to go if you are craving slow-cooked meats.
The beef ribs and briskets, glazed chicken, and charred turkey all have a delicate taste when cooked slowly.
You will enjoy the smoky goodness that befalls your mouth once you take a bite into the tender meat.
They also have a program where they honor the heroes of the town with complementary feasts of BBQ.
- 440 Tyvola RoadCharlotte, NC, United States
- +1 7045231053
- 10:45 am-9:00 pm, Monday-Sunday.
The Smoke Pit
The Smoke Pit also offers the meaty goodness of slow-cooked BBQ. But they cook the beef ribs for up to 18 hours on the hickory wood.
You will surely be in a treat if you visit them.
They also have a great addition of sides on their menu.
One favorite that has customers lined up at the diner is the deviled egg potato that we will leave for you to eat to decide its hype. Spoiler, it’s worth the wait!
- 796 Concord Pkwy N., Concord, NC 28027
- +1 704 7957573
- 11:00 am- 8:00 pm, Monday-Saturday. Sundays are closed.
Generous, finger-lickin’ good portions make the meals at Lancaster’s BBQ an excellent bang for your buck.
They’ve got many options to satisfy all your cravings, but we suggest you start with the most famous one: the BBQ pork dinner.
Served Eastern NC style, it’s extra moist and tender, chopped up fine with the perfect drizzle of sauce.
Pair it with mustard slaw and collards, or grab some on the Redneck Fries instead.
- 9230 Beatties Ford Rd, Huntersville, NC 28078
- Tuesday – Sunday 11 AM – 9 PM
- + 1 704-394-1464
The Improper Pig at Rea Farm
Not only does The Improper Pig at Rea Farm offer scrumptious BBQ, but they also have excellent service.
A great weekend hangout, this is a spacious spot with minimal décor and comfy booth or bar seating.
You’ve got ample options here, but the Improper Platter with 2 types of meat is a great place to start – try the pork and add the brisket for a Lil extra; it’s worth it!
The house sauce list is equally impressive – they’ve even got a Hoisin option.
- 9855 Sandy Rock Pl A, Charlotte, NC 28277
- Monday 4 -9 PM; Tuesday – Thursday 11 AM – 9 PM; Friday & Saturday 11 AM – 10 PM; Sunday 11 AM – 8 PM
- + 1 704-714-7878
521 BBQ & Grill
No-frills or fancy touches at 521 BBQ & Grill – they get straight to the point with mouth-watering BBQ!
Grab a seat and tuck into their signature BBQ – hand-rubbed, hickory-smoked, then served hot and fresh.
If you’re looking for Texas-style brisket, get it here sliced or chopped with baked beans and delicious buttery corn. Feeling for a handheld?
The smoked pulled chicken sandwich is the answer, served on a grilled bun with crunchy slaw.
- 1135 Stonecrest Blvd #101, Tega Cay, SC 29708
- Tuesday – Thursday 11 AM – 8 PM; Friday & Saturday 11 AM – 9 PM
- + 1 803-548-0123
Bobbee O’s BBQ
Good music, Southern hospitality, and delicious BBQ is the Bobbee O’s BBQ trifecta.
This is definitely a spot for those who love saucy BBQ – generously served!
Chow down on their BBQ Pulled Pork or Beef Brisket platters, served alongside cornbread, perfectly candied yams, and crispy fried okra.
Or try options like BBQ Pulled Pork Salads, BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, and warm, comforting Brunswick Stew.
- 9401 Statesville Rd, Charlotte, NC 28269
- Monday – Thursday 11 AM – 9 PM; Friday & Saturday 11 AM – 11 PM; Sunday 11 AM – 8 PM
- + 1 704-509-6902
The Original Q Shack
The Original Q Shack brings excellent service and ‘cue to their customers, and the shack itself isn’t so shabby either!
Painted red with picnic tables and lots of charm, it’s an excellent spot for casual dinners with friends.
The Chili rubbed beef brisket is reason alone to visit – try it chopped on Texas toast with their jack cheese creamed spinach or jalapeno deviled eggs!
- 10822 Providence Rd, Charlotte, NC 28277
- Tuesday – Saturday 11 AM – 9 PM; Sunday 11 AM – 8 PM
- + 1 704-246-6030
You might also be interested in:
- Best BBQ in North Carolina
- Best BBQ in Winston Salem
- Best BBQ in Asheville
- Best BBQ in Raleigh
- Best BBQ in Greensboro
- Best BBQ in Wilmington
- Best BBQ in Durham
I have been smoking and grilling meat from an early age and enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise through the hundreds of articles I have written about BBQ. I hope to make everyone’s BBQ journey that little bit easier.